The future of work: is your job safe? | The Economist

Share it with your friends Like

Thanks! Share it with your friends!

Close

The world of work will be radically different in the future. From hyper-surveillance of staff to digital nomadism to robots taking jobs—how, where and why we work is changing beyond all recognition.

Click here to subscribe to The Economist on YouTube: https://econ.st/2xvTKdy

This is the workforce of the future. Technology is transforming the world of work beyond all recognition creating groundbreaking opportunities. But it’s also eroding the rights of workers. Some even fear a dystopian jobless future. But are these anxieties overblown? How we react to this brave new world of work today will shape societies for generations to come.

What are the forces shaping how people live and work and how power is wielded in the modern age? NOW AND NEXT reveals the pressures, the plans and the likely tipping points for enduring global change. Understand what is really transforming the world today – and discover what may lie in store tomorrow.

For more from Economist Films visit: http://films.economist.com/
Check out The Economist’s full video catalogue: http://econ.st/20IehQk
Like The Economist on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheEconomist/
Follow The Economist on Twitter: https://twitter.com/theeconomist
Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/theeconomist/
Follow us on Medium: https://medium.com/@the_economist

Comments

Mr Funck says:

fy fan vad segt film

William Oishi says:

so to summarize inequality will increase and there will be 2 scenarios where rich people have a secure job and can afford to buy things while poor to medium wage try to survive due to crisis or employee turnover.

Sam Featherstone says:

Lol ok 70% think data collection on employees will increase in the coming years. Were the other 30% still living in caves?

Sam Featherstone says:

Humanyze, is dangerous af for lazy people

Chirag Suparna Chachad says:

Joseph's smile made my day.

Qui Edger says:

I don't hove a job, so I don't have to worry!!

bob blob says:

this video was before covid lol…its so irrelavant now with every country closing borders.

Daisy Dd says:

love the human cloud slum story <3

Nice Person says:

bots will do all the work and humans will be issued uniforms, cubicles and food supplies. maybe a motorbike or bicycle.

Trigger Happy says:

If we get to a point where 90% of stuff is made by robots, shouldn’t everything end up cost cheaper and a small amount of nomadic or traditional work would be able to pay our bills?

marko brkic says:

We need to make a 30 hour work week, instead of 40 that is now.

Go Nhu says:

A la verga.

Nick Ebejer says:

"At some point someone will do the wrong thing with this kind of data"

XanderShiller says:

Help wanted ( how do I find help with learning about social media or producing a podcast etc is there a website?)

leon wlmn says:

Robots go never replace workers they dont need food or must pay a home for sleep morons…

Michael Penzance says:

Digital nomads, I like the term and maybe it could be translated into 数码游牧一族.

PatrickJS says:

anyone from 2020 here?

Ken Kruller says:

The working middle class, is the engine that drives our economy. If you replace workers with robots. Who is going to buy the products and services the robots and AI are making. The robots and AI do not buy products and services. If you replace half the workers in our economy with automation, you are replacing half of all the consumers the economy depends on.

WealthAuthor says:

You get the choice not to work as a gig worker!

Girma Frederick says:

Vdeo is about everything that's wrong with technology! They end it by saying Robots will create more jobs then it would eliminate. Pure 100% lie!

PJ says:

I’d quit before I put a tracker around my neck

sharad gaikwad says:

They are independent worker , Nomadic worker, because wherever they got traditional worker serving them

B Perez says:

This is pre pandemic
Imagine post pandemic !

ARMAGHEDION says:

Passport privilege. Must be nice. Cute to see westerners nervous about visa policies loooooooooooool

T P says:

No more safe job, safe world and privacy we all under 24/7 cctv, it destroys every aspect of our life

Seki Koh says:

It's such a great idea that if you can only do tagging images jobs, you should move to Kenya slum.

Write a comment

*

Area 51
Ringing

Answer